Keeping a fence clean is an important part of wood fence maintenance, and if you skip your spring fence cleaning you might be setting yourself up for costly repairs later in the season. Are you ready to clean your wood fence this weekend? Here’s what you need to know to get started!
How to Clean a Wood Fence
- Start by covering the ground around the fence with plastic sheeting. If you can move any plants around the fence, it’s best to move them somewhere else in the yard until you’re done.
- Grab a stiff-bristled stainless steel wire brush to remove any heavy, caked-on debris from the fence. Work in sections as you go so that you can keep track of what you’ve one and what you haven’t. When using the stiff brush, be careful not to gouge it too deeply, or you risk damaging or denting softwoods.
- Spray your fence with a garden hose. You don’t need to use a power washer unless you have one. In that case, leave it on a lower setting to just rinse the surface of the fence.
- Use oxygenated bleach mixed with water and apply it to the wood fence using a painter’s brush. Let the mixture sit on the surface for at least 15 minutes before scrubbing it with a scrub brush.
- Once the mixture has been thoroughly worked into the surface, rinse it off with a garden hose.
- Do you have mold or algae on your wood fence? Grab chlorine bleach and mix one part bleach with two parts water. Scrub the growth away with a firm brush and don’t be afraid to use some elbow grease to get the job done right. Once you’re done, wash your fence.
- When you finish cleaning your wood fence, you should then make sure that you give it plenty of time to dry to avoid more mold or mildew growth. It’s best to wash your wood fence on a day when you know there will not be rain for at least 24-48 hours afterward. Check on your fence as it dries to ensure that you didn’t miss any spots and that the surface has totally dried.
Call Eastern Shore Porch & Patio
Eastern Shore Porch & Patio is proud to be the premier vinyl fence sales and vinyl fence installation company for the Bethany Beach, Ocean City, Lewes, and Delmarva areas. Request a quote today!
Call us today at 302-436-9520 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today to speak with one of our knowledgeable, experienced consultants. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and Youtube for news and updates!